Elope in Minnesota
Are you leaning towards an elopement or a small ceremony instead of a full big wedding? I would love to give you some tips so you can rock your Minnesota elopement! Ope!
It’s a celebration about you two!
Intimate ceremonies are incredibly emotional, there are (usually) less complications and less structure around your day! The people surrounding you are the most special to your hearts and there is more space to be genuine.
Elopement and Intimate Weddings: What’s the difference
Both types of ceremonies are minimalistic in nature and involve few, or even zero guests. With small weddings evolving and changing in trends and complexity, there are also many new Wedding terms like Minimonys, Sequel Weddings, Petite Weddings and Micro Weddings!
Elopements are the choice for many couples whose guest list is small or tiny, usually 10 people or less. I have been to micro ceremonies where I was counted as the witness ! The ceremony can be anywhere from your backyard to the courthouse, lakeside or a park, where you do it is very flexible! The reception, if there is one, is usually a very, small dinner celebration.
Elopements are also known to be something more spontaneous (even though it does require a little bit of planning) and involve some sort of adventure in your day. In Minnesota many couples choose to find a secluded nature area, or take a road trip to a waterfall or even better by the majestic lake superior! The best part: Your Minnesota Elopement photographer is used to these spur of the moment happenings!
Small Weddings have been a popular choice for couples who want something simpler . They are back to being not only popular but a necessity after the pandemic.
And while downsizing your weddings might not have been your first choice, this doesn’t mean that your day will be anything less special! Intimate and smaller ceremonies are very emotional and allow you to focus on you two even more surrounded by your most important and favorite people are around you! The main difference in a small wedding is the size of the guest list and that there is often some type of reception after the ceremony.
Choosing a spot to elope
When choosing where to elope you can think about things like convenience, meaning and availability!
1. For an urban location that is centric and easy for everyone to find their way, you can go for a wedding in a park, or in the courthouse!
2. If you are wanting to find a smaller venue, you can find a restaurant like the WA frost in the city of St Paul or a place that allows for small ceremonies outside like the Minnesota Arboretum, or a beautiful green conservatory like Como Conservatory.
3. A small and charming hotel outside of the city is a perfect example of thinking outside the box. If you know someone with a gorgeous backyard, a lake house or a cabin, ask them.
4. Renting a cool airbnb or VRBO is another great choice, specially if it’s close to the Lake Superior, or one of our ten thousand lakes so you can have a gorgeous lakeside ceremony .
5. Another thing to consider when choosing a spot is your personalities, if you prefer to be surrounded by nature and quiet, a place outside that is secluded might feel more special to you!
6. Someone always knows someone with a cool backyard by the lake!
Timing your Outdoor Elopement
If you are thinking of eloping and getting married outdoors, timing will be important! It’s no secret that sunrise or sunsets are way more romantic than middle of the day sun. This is mainly because is when the light is more flattering on people, as it is soft and warm. Think of it like nature’s best filter .It’s best to have your ceremony near sunrise or sunset.
If you are thinking of an iconic place that is outdoors and maybe in a State park even, you will want to think of crowds. You can probably google this and see how “busy” this place is at certain times and seasons, or you can try calling if there is an office there. Most likely Saturdays will be the busiest so you might need to get creative with the timing. A weekday it’s a great way to avoid crowds!
Make sure to check with your Minnesota Elopement Photographer, since we are usually aware of the best timing form any particular spots!
Minnesota Elopement Locations
MINNEAPOLIS, ST PAUL VENUES WITH SMALL WEDDING PACKAGES
There is so many beautiful smaller venues and nature areas both in the city and surrounding areas. Here are a few favorite locations that offer their space for smaller ceremonies.
COVID Update: Here are a few venues that are currently offering small ceremony and elopement options:
OUTDOOR SPACES FOR SMALL CEREMONIES
Check out my tips for Getting Married at a Minnepolis St Paul Parks
COVID UPDATE: Courthouse and city hall ceremonies are now being scheduled!
Popular courthouse wedding locations in the Minneapolis St Paul Area are
- Hennepin County (Mpls, MN)
- Government center (Mpls, MN)
- Minneapolis City Hall (Mpls, MN)
- Minnesota Capitol Building (St Paul, MN)
- Family Justice Center (St Paul, MN)
- Juvenile Justice Center
- Brookdale, Ridgedale and Southdale Regional Service
Click for tips for Getting Married at the Courthouse
These locations are all beautiful but we can also help you find something meaningful for you!